Board of Directors Job Postings
Join Gateway Theatre's Board of Directors
CALL FOR GATEWAY THEATRE BOARD MEMBERS
Founded in 1982, Gateway Theatre is a non-profit arts organization enriching the quality of life in Richmond and surrounding communities by creating outstanding professional theatre and serving as a dynamic hub for the performing arts.
Board of Director Opportunity
We’re looking for people who are performing arts enthusiasts to join the 11- to 13-member Board of Directors. The Board includes community members who work in finance, law, marketing, higher education, and other sectors, and reflect a range of ages and cultural backgrounds.
The Board is primarily responsible for:
- Governance of the Society and ensuring that the organization has the resources necessary to effectively deliver the mission.
- Participation in major decisions by acting honestly and in good faith, avoiding conflicts of interest, and exercising leadership with care, diligence, and skill.
- Board members may be called upon to assist with fundraising, advocacy, or networking activities that benefit the society on a case-by-case basis.
Specifically we are looking for volunteers with a combination of the following skills and experience:
- A love of the performing arts
- A desire to contribute to the Richmond community
- Strong connections and relationships through social and business settings
- Managerial experience in the hospitality industry
- Experience as a teacher or administrator in primary or high school education
- Artists or former theatre performers
- Members of the Richmond community or neighbouring communities
It is expected that those interested will devote time to being an engaged Director. This requires:
- Board meetings approximately eight times a year that last up to 90 minutes depending on the business on the agenda
- Preparation for meetings and conducting related work outside of formal meetings
- Commitment to the work and participation of at least one committee
- Attendance at all shows or artistic offerings produced or presented by Gateway
- Annual donation in alignment with their leadership role in the organization
Learn about the experience of other Board Members:
- “I have lived in Richmond my whole life and being on the Board of Directors for the Gateway Theatre is an impactful and rewarding way to give back to the community. The Gateway Theatre enriches Richmond and the surrounding communities through theatre and performing arts. It has been an honour to support and get involved in the arts and community through this voluntary role.”
- “Being on the Gateway Board is an opportunity for me to contribute to our amazing community and to serve alongside and learn from some very interesting people!”
- "Being on the board of Gateway Theatre Society gives me the opportunities to work with professionals from different backgrounds. The discussions during the board meetings encourage me to see things from different perspectives, which is important for developing my leadership skills. Also, being able to learn of the artistic offerings prior to the release for sure is an added benefit.”
How to apply:
Interested individuals are invited to submit a letter of interest and resume addressed to Clayton Rubinstein c/o firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Gateway Board” in the subject line by August 15, 2022. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. We thank you for your interest.